Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Acta Non Verba 3/19/2019 ... On the Amtrak 182 from DC Union Station to Newark, NJ Passing Through Philadelphia

There are various things in life that remind me about earlier times in my life.  Taking the Amtrak train from DC to the New York Metropolitan Area is one of them.  When I take the train these days it reminds me of two times in my life.  Age 18 - 22 while I was a Midshipman at Kings Point and would take the train from home or back to "the Academy" and 2002 - 2005 when I worked for Lockheed Martin and would take the train to either the MTA's offices at 2 Broadway for meetings or after we won a project to our offices at 1 Penn Plaza right upstairs from Penn Station.

Today, at least right now as we arrive at 30 Street Station in Philadelphia, I am thinking fondly about those trips back and forth to Kings Point and right this second I am looking forward to the view I'll see in a couple of minutes of "Boathouse Row" in my old hometown - Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love.  We just past them, to me they seem timeless - Vesper and Malta boathouses look as they did forty plus years ago.  It's a sunny, crisp day, nobody is rowing right this minute on the stretch of the Schuylkill, but the open doors on two of the Boathouses attest to the fact there is or at least was activity there already today.  Soon we'll pass the Philadelphia Zoo, curve right and go over/across the river headed northbound through New Jersey towards New York.  Today I'll get off at Newark - Penn Station (the other Penn Station? - I guess.)

The current me has a business meeting and then dinner with a professional and personal friend this afternoon/evening.  It's rare that a trick business or personal these days doesn't conjure memories of the impact my time at USMMA has had on my very blessed life.  God fare the well, KINGS POINT!

No comments:

Post a Comment